Monday, April 5, 2010

The progress of my TPS seedlings

About 12 seeds germinated from the seeds sowed in early January. I potted them up in 4in pot to wait until they grew a little more to transplant them in their individual 4in pots. I started to notice differences in the plants, for instance some have the entire stem green while others have color in their stems and in the veins of the leaves. Also most of the plants grow straight up but there are 2 or 3 that have tiny leaves and grow very spindly almost like vines. I wonder if the other genes of the mother purple plant are coming through in the daughters. I am intrigued to know if those with color in the leaves are blue or red or if the ones with all the stem green has white or yellow flesh. I have a lot to discover and just the idea of having the ability to create a diffent potato from the original is very exciting. I have to think of a naming system or create an unique name for each one, so once I harvest their potatoes I could track the characteristics and looks at the pictures to see how they reflect the final product. In about a month from now I will come back with pictures of my TPS seedlings.

No comments:

Post a Comment